Tuesday 17 May 2011

Bundaberg - dominate that reception

I was settling in to the reception role well, John had started to gain respect for me and I felt I was working hard, the hours were long and I was working 6 days per week, this was fine as there is nothing to do in Bundaberg anyway and the days were flying by.

One part of the job I enjoyed was working the Bar. I covered Emelie’s shift on a Wednesday and I would keep the bar flowing all afternoon and in to the evening, I had some great times working the bar – most of which I was exceedingly drunk, this was mainly down to John, he soon realised I had a soft spot for Bundy and Coke and seeing as this was his favourite drop it made me an easy target for a drinking partner.

I was soon running the reception/whole hostel well, the day to day routine of sorting the paperwork, checking in new guests, cruising in the many vehicles (the main one being the mini bus – loved that bad boy), maintaining the communal areas made the job very diverse. Yes I still had to run around after John but that just became part and parcel of the job and there were many high points so this didn’t affect me much.

As I started to get closer to John he started to treat me very differently, he wouldn’t be aggressive or shout, he asked my advise and generally seemed to show an interest. This meant the noose around my neck was loosened, it allowed me to still do my job (and to a good standard I might add) but have fun too.

John would say to me “you are the first point of contact in the hostel, it’s your job to check girls in and check them out (at the same time)”, John was the perfect wingman – it was his bloody hostel.

I became close to an Irish girl called Yvonne, we had a great laugh but we were confined to the hostel life, we worked together (she was the cleaner) and we lived in the same room as we were both staff members. This actually had a positive impact on us but the time came for her to leave, we said we would try and stay together but it was never going to work. We stayed friends and worked out best in the end.

John realised that I was newly on the market shall we say and saw this as an opportunity to not only get me steemingly drunk but chat up almost any girl I remotely showed an interest in. Let’s just say working on reception has its advantages....

No comments:

Post a Comment