Tuesday 17 May 2011

Bundaberg - xmas 2010

Xmas at Cellblock.....
The build up to xmas started in mid November but it was a strange environment to be spending another Christmas away from home. Most of my friends I had met in the early stages of Cellblock had left, I was stuck between two groups, this made it very awkward as I had stayed with the same group throughout the entire time. When they all left and I realised I had left myself slightly outcast. I did have a few mates from the old crew who were kicking around and new staff had come onboard which made for exciting times.

John gave the cleaning post to a scouse girl called Lauren, I first met Lauren when I was stood at the bar, she screamed (well to her she spoke softly I guess) to me “well il do a much better job than the old cleaner” instantly this didn’t go down to well, but she made me laugh. Over the course of our time in Cellblock I became very close to Lauren.

We became such good friends, helping each other pick up chicks and guys and then telling one another the next day what happened, we were like brother and sister but the kind of brother that saw his sister naked a lot if that makes sense.

The one thing I won’t miss is her mess, dear god. For someone who is employed as a cleaner she should be shot. I would find xmas cards and fairy lights on my bed, I would have to pick through her underwear just to get to mine, I would find tampons in my hair wax, but as much as I kicked up a stink I couldn’t get mad.

Xmas eve and we knew this would be an epic day, all the boys were dressed in the same Santa outfits and all day drinking started well before lunch. A site to see when you walk in to the bar area and see 30 or so Santa’s sat around drinking – there was a massive amount of girls missing but that didn’t stop them.

As people returned from work everyone started to get in to the spirit, they drank and sang to xmas songs. Will, Andy and Paddy provided endless entertainment and helped get the drinking games up and going. A highlight was having all the Santa’s line up on the Pool wall and wave to the traffic as it drove past the main road. This provided some laughter.

The next day was a struggle, an early start for the staff as we had to prep the food for the mega feast that was Christmas dinner. Luckily we had a chef check in the hostel about a week before and this proved it’s waiting gold.

Dinner was served and the carols were belting out from behind the bar, myself, Emilie, Stuart, and Lauren took turns to help run the bar – I say run, it basically meant we drank every time we were behind it. The beauty of that job meant we could drink providing we could still work.

It was a long day and we were all exhausted, the staff had put on a good day but it meant we had to sacrifice most of our day to help make it all run smoothly. The next day we all managed to chill out and get some time to ourselves. That evening myself Lauren and Emelie went out to celebrate in our own way – Thai!

We were heading to Central after the restaurant when John called, we instantly thought we would have to back to work. It turned out John had booked a table for us (staff) at the RSL. We felt bad so we headed back to Cellblock, John was a bit gutted that we had missed the meal but he said “come on im taking you out”. We headed for the RSL but had no idea what we were doing, John signed us in and we each sat at a slot machine. John handed over $100 to each of us and said “whatever you win is yours, I just want my $100 back” – oh dear!
John provided the drinks and these did not stop, we were drinking at his pace. Quickly getting drunk and just as quickly loosing his money I started to win, turns out we all won, Lauren $180, Stu $350, Emelie $700 and I pulled out $1100. We all gave John is money back and jumped and cheered as we headed back to the hostel. John loved it and opened up the bar for us to continue drinking.

All in all, not a bad Christmas after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment